Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jesus was Homeless ya know.

 I heard a story awhile ago at serve the city and I had to share...it really made me think. A guy and his wife went for a little vacation and ended up ditching their original plans and served the homeless. They talked with them, spent their gifts on them and ice skated with them..helping some of  them forget about their situation for a minute and enjoy life. I remember when I was working in Puerto Rico we had a mission contact with the homeless shelter...I remember telling the high schoolers that sometimes all they want is to be noticed. No one even notices them, looks them in the eye, gives them any time. People look away when they beg for money and go on with their day pushing that person out of their mind. I am no exception. I find myself doing this sometimes... How awful I feel when I realize it though. Some of them just had some rough times, some are mentally ill, some might be struggling with alcohol, drugs or whatever, but when did a problem like that let me have the right to judge or lose hope in them? No one is hopeless. There is ALWAYS hope.  We are all people and we are called to love everyone. Whether we have a home or not does not make any one better than the next. I was reading Irresistible Revolution (great book) and the author fell in love and became close friends with the many without homes. The author pointed out a very interesting thing...Jesus was homeless....which is True. 'foxes have holes and birds have nests but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.' Many of Jesus' followers invited Him to stay with them as their guest...So ,what can we do?? For one, try to push any judgmental thoughts out of your head... The only thing we should think is How can I serve you? How can I love you? Look at them in the eye....look at them as a little child, homeless, lost, cold, alone. Look at them as God looks at them. Get involved in their lives...serve at soup kitchens, donate your clothes, help them if you know of jobs, shelters, homes... Spend some of your time with them.  Love them. Love them. Love them.


Here are just a couple of homeless shelters and soup kitchens in Lexington!
The Hope Center
Catholic Action Center
Church Under the Bridge
Lighthouse Ministries


No comments:

Post a Comment