Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Marriage

I just came back from a beautiful wedding this weekend. The bride and groom are amazing and great examples of people ready for that huge leap into marriage.  For the past month at church I have heard about having healthy relationships and ending the series with something like this, was perfect. I honestly think people take things to lightly when it comes to marriage...and the relationships that precede it. The promises they make at the alter are often broken in just a few short years when things get tough and they both realize it's not some fairy tale every day. Sometimes, I think people get wrapped up in wanting to plan some pretty wedding or keeping up with all their other friends that are married, that they can easily forget to plan for what's beyond that one day. I mean...have you ever really thought about what marriage means?!...you leave your father and mother and become ONE, that's some big stuff there. So how do you find that person God wants you with????  In the series, my preacher answered that with this----you become the person the person you're looking for is looking for. Crazy sounding but so true. If you're a partier, you'll probably end up finding another partier. If you want someone with a good relationship with God, you first have to have that good relationship. It makes sense right? I guess it starts with becoming the true you, the you God created you to be and giving your heart to Him before giving it to anyone else. You have to find comfort and contentment in God alone, because no man/woman will be able to fill certain parts of your heart. When you're able to love yourself along with the One that made you, giving yourself to someone else...becoming one with them....can become a lot less complicated and make some sense...(if you've got God's love in you..just imagine the love you'll be able to give to others!) . Do I think it will be easy? No. I think it takes work...every day. There are things out there that want to break a God thing up, that say it's okay to look at that man/woman or cheat or go to that club or email your ex or go to that website or work all the time...or whatever it may be. It's not okay. A thought becomes a desire which becomes something you try to fulfill. ....okay I'm rambling so I'll end. Here are some quick points I remember from the sermons that I think are very useful. 


For the women--- treat your man like a man. He is a leader. Support Him. submit to Him.

For the men---stand up for your woman. Love her like Christ loves the Church. treat her with respect.

For the couple--- God first...always.  prepare before hand. Know each other. Fight for each other every day. Sacrifice. Serve. encourage. Hold each other accountable. Challenge each other to grow. LOVE (1st Corinthians 13...substitute your name in where Love is and be like that) and remember they are a Child of the most High God.



Hopefully, when you think you've found that special one you'll be able to see that you are able to worship and serve God better together than alone...and that it's not all about flowers and dresses but something deeper. something rooted in a promise that can never be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment