Wednesday, August 31, 2011

telenovelas

Telenovelas are Spanish soap operas and they are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure every episode involves someone in the hospital that's been dying for a year and if they die they magically come back, a baby being stolen, people speaking their thoughts in a crowd while nobody hears them and the infamous dramatic staring that lasts 5 minutes. I grew up with them being played in the house since my mom likes them and have seen my fair share. Here, we have things like the Young and the Restless and General Hospital, but I feel that only a select group of women watch them. The weird thing for me is that Telenovelas are the main type of show played in Latin countries and many people watch them...men, women, children. It's either the news, a telenovela, or some very weird comedy show with adults acting like babies.  I guess I can't completely make fun of them since they really are a good way to learn some Spanish and every once in awhile I can get sucked into the story or the ridiculousness of it. The funniest is when I go home to find my mom AND dad watching them...and my Dad being able to catch me up on the show's craziness.  Here is an example of a telenovela that Shane and I watched a few times (Triunfo del Amor), haha...

P.S. My favorites are La Rosa de Guadelupe and Betty la Fea (which is over now)

No comments:

Post a Comment