Saturday, July 31, 2010

I got a letter...from myself!!!

I was looking through some of my old papers and just found a letter I had written to myself right after I had finished my summer in Puerto Rico working for YouthWorks. They wanted us to be reminded of what the summer did for us at a later time so they suggested we write whatever and they would send it to us in a few months. I thought it was silly at the time but after reading mine tonight I almost teared up a little!!
Youthworks was one of the most challenging, chaotic, and beautiful summers I've ever had. Just getting hired and actually deciding to go was ALL GOD. It still gives me cold chils to think of how it all happened. I'll spare the details but basically, I was scared to death and never in a million years would have imagined myself having enough guts to sign up for such a job... Anyway, I ended up getting the last position VERY last minute for a spanish speaking place doing the most AMAZING JOB EVER!!! I was the urban staff so I got to work with several volunteer organizations in the city. I worked with the homeless, drug addicts, orphans, elderly....oh I can't even begin to explain how happy I was:)
here's part of my letter!
don't sweat the small stuff, have faith in people, NEVER lose sight of GOD. Never stop getting closer to God. Don't get caught up in everyday life..the monotony. Try to be aware of how much you can grow, help and do. Love your community and have patience with people...I hope every experience I have had has changed me and I hope I'm living up to the advice I gave myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment